ACPA Proudly chose to unite our profession, and NASPA did not.
Over two years ago, the ACPA Governing Board and the NASPA Board of Directors committed to explore the possibility of a new comprehensive international student affairs association that combined the strengths and resources of both associations. We have just concluded an historic vote by members of ACPA and NASPA on whether to move forward with the proposed consolidation plan. We learned today that ACPA members voted in favor of uniting the profession and our NASPA colleagues chose not to consolidate.
While this news comes as a disappointment to the majority of ACPA members, ACPA has always been and will continue to be the association for our profession’s leading scholars, administrators, student development educators, graduate students and corporate partners. You have our continued commitment to unparalleled leadership in the areas that matter most to our members. With your involvement, ACPA will:
- Lead the profession in generating knowledge;
- Advance social justice on our campuses;
- Identify and disseminate best practices to promote student learning and development;
- Build upon and extend scholarly and practitioner expertise;
- Partner with the ACPA Foundation to support research and professional development;
- Maximize our relationships with higher education associations to influence and shape the higher education agenda;
- Engage our members in the work and leadership of our association; and
- Collaborate with NASPA when appropriate, and compete with NASPA when appropriate.
Thank you for participating with us in this important dialogue and for continuing to make ACPA your professional home. We look forward to working with all of our members and partners as we continue to offer outstanding leadership, scholarship and commitment to our students, profession and the greater higher education community.