Wednesday, August 15, 2012

With One Text….


“I think I would rather move in on Friday instead of Thursday” was the text message I received this week from my partner’s oldest son regarding his move-in to the residence halls on campus this week. 

For those that know me, you know that I am a planner.  And I am busy.  The start of the school year is busy for the parent of any freshman…but add on being the Dean of Students and every moment needs to be carefully choreographed.   There are student groups to welcome, opening of school triage meetings to attend...So, we had set aside Thursday to move-in to the residence halls.  I had cleared my calendar and filled up the other days with activities related to my campus responsibility.

I was angry.  I felt like he had disregarded my needs…my schedule.

And then it hit me.  This is not about me.  He is moving into the residence halls.  Not me.  This is the start of his college experience and he clearly has thought it all out and has his own plan.  One that works for him.

I guess we are both growing up a bit this week. 

Parents like me are coming to campuses all around the world soon, and as we unload the boxes into a 12 x 12 square our world and arguably, life’s work, changes.  It is sad, exciting, emotional, frustrating, frightening…and so many other things all rolled up into one. 

Please be good to us as we are on your campus.  We may need more care than the 18 year-old.

I just hope the text messages keep coming.

Dr. Keith Humphrey
ACPA President


7 comments:

Eric Stoller said...

Thanks for sharing this story...always good to step back and get some perspective.

Dr. Kathleen Kerr said...

Thank you, Eric! And thanks for keeping up with the blog!

Anonymous said...

I am helping my youngest sister move into her residence hall this upcoming weekend and will similarly experience it all from the family end instead of from the student affairs end. I am finding it to be a helpful reminder in my work... hope you can say the same! All the best with this big transition!

Taran

Dr. Kathleen Kerr said...

Thank you for your thoughts, Taran! And best of luck to you and your family as you move your sister into her residence hall!

Shaunna Payne Gold said...

Love it...as an uber-planner, I completely comprehend the panic and frustration that was probably on your face. Great blog!

Shaunna Payne Gold said...

As an uber-planner, I understand the panic and frustration that was probably on your face. Great blog!

Dr. Kathleen Kerr said...

Thank you, Shaunna! Everything worked out well in the end!